We set up low-income students to fail, and it’s costing Dallas billions of dollars | Commentary | Dallas News
Thought-provoking. What are your thoughts?
I would too Ron, I would too.
1) Phew! This week has been so crazy I actually forgot it was Quick Takes Day until I got my daily email from The Catholic Couponer – thanks for the reminder Beth Anne!
2) Part of why my week was crazy was my much-needed trip to California, the land of sun and desert and stars! I miss living in places where I can walk out at night, look up and be covered by a blanket of never-ending stars. Texas is a lot of wonderful things, but not all of it has that luxury. Courtesy of wikipedia, take a look at the difference in A and B. The first picture is what it looks like in rural California. The second one is what it looks like when I walk outside at night, here:
3) Speaking of Texas, let’s take a moment to just appreciate the beauty that can be found here, shall we?
4) Did you know that Ashton Kutcher is suing the DMV? One more reason to like him, in my book. Story here.
5) On my mind lately: organizing this mess of my desk. Any suggestions, short of a complete overhaul? (That’s coming soon enough, don’t worry.) I’m already subscribed to Organize.com and The Container Store e-alerts but everything costs so much $$… I know there’s gotta be a way to do this and still have some cash left to spend on technology to put on my desk!
6) I have my first radio interview next week! Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers! Nervous right now but I know everything will be okay …!
7) And as always, a prayer to close the week prior. Today is the feast of St. Thomas More, a powerhouse of a saint, who happens to be the patron of statesmen and politicians. In this heated political climate, it is always a good reminder to turn to his life and see that not so long ago, men were capable of great things in political office … May St. Thomas More see fit to intercede for our nation now struggling to adhere to the tenets of basic morality. (If you’re interested, click here to read the Moto Proprio proclaiming St. Thomas More the patron of these things)
I give you, a prayer written by St. Thomas More while imprisoned in the Tower of London.
† In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Give me the grace, Good Lord
To set the world at naught. To set the mind firmly on You and not to hang upon the words of men’s mouths.
To be content to be solitary. Not to long for worldly pleasures. Little by little utterly to cast off the world and rid my mind of all its business.
Not to long to hear of earthly things, but that the hearing of worldly fancies may be displeasing to me.
Gladly to be thinking of God, piteously to call for His help. To lean into the comfort of God. Busily to labor to love Him.
To know my own vileness and wretchedness. To humble myself under the mighty hand of God. To bewail my sins and, for the purging of them, patiently to suffer adversity.
Gladly to bear my purgatory here. To be joyful in tribulations. To walk the narrow way that leads to life.
To have the last thing in remembrance. To have ever before my eyes my death that is ever at hand. To make death no stranger to me. To foresee and consider the everlasting fire of Hell. To pray for pardon before the judge comes.
To have continually in mind the passion that Christ suffered for me. For His benefits unceasingly to give Him thanks.
To buy the time again that I have lost. To abstain from vain conversations. To shun foolish mirth and gladness. To cut off unnecessary recreations.
Of worldly substance, friends, liberty, life and all, to set the loss at naught, for the winning of Christ.
To think my worst enemies my best friends, for the brethren of Joseph could never have done him so much good with their love and favor as they did him with their malice and hatred.
These minds are more to be desired of every man than all the treasures of all the princes and kings, Christian and heathen, were it gathered and laid together all in one heap.
I just find this amusing.
Texas declares new ‘energy emergency’ – FT.com [ALSO: Homeless in TX? How to get involved / Where to go for help]
“The Texas grid operator warned this week of rolling blackouts or power cuts to industrial customers. It said all power sources were being tapped to meet record demand amid an unrelenting heatwave that knocked out power from 20 plants.
The crisis follows three months of record power demand amid 100 degree Fahrenheit temperatures. In February, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas was forced to institute rolling blackouts amid a winter freeze.
“I would encourage President Obama to call an energy summit,’’ Mr McCullough said. “Electricity is the only energy you cannot import.’’”
Oi vey! This heat wave is astronomical! There are major ‘drought’ signs everywhere in Texas. The houses are shifting like mad, and foundational shifts are causing major roof and structural damage …..
If you live in Texas, don’t water during the daytime!!!
October (or rather respite, whenever that may be) cannot come soon enough!
HOMELESS OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS?
HOW TO GIVE HELP OR FIND HELP.
You can always volunteer and donate to the St. Vincent de Paul Society, a national non-profit charitable organization. Check out North Texas Food Bank, Texas Food Bank Network, Capital Area Food Bank of Texas, or West Texas Food Bank to find out where you can donate bottled water to the homeless of our beloved state.